Whether you have endured injuries in a car accident in Los Angeles or suffered the consequences of medical malpractice, you should consider lawyering up. California state laws are meant to help victims, despite which many don’t get the settlement they deserve. Hiring a personal injury lawyer in LA is your best bet for most circumstances. In this post, we are sharing all details you must know to find the right lawyer.
Reasons to hire an attorney
- An injury lawyer will evaluate your claim for FREE and won’t charge a fee until you win.
- You can expect the lawyer to put a dollar value to your claim and investigate the case.
- With an injury lawyer on your side, you don’t have to worry about proving fault and gathering evidence.
- Also, if you are partly at fault for the mishap, hiring an expert ensures that your claim is not denied on that ground alone.
- Experienced injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and can help you deal with the insurance claims adjuster.
- Your injury lawyer can also be your biggest resource for filing a lawsuit when everything else fails.
Finding the right injury lawyer
- If you can find people who have worked with injury lawyers in LA in the past, you can get references. There are also online directories that can help.
- Ensure that the attorney you choose has worked on similar cases. For instance, a medical malpractice lawyer may not know everything about car accident cases. Relevant experience is critical.
- Meet the attorney in person to understand the worth of your personal injury claim. Ask about what to expect from the case and whether you should consider pursuing further legal action.
- Ask the attorney if they have been to court for personal injury lawyers. Because most cases are settled outside of court, not many injury lawyers can claim the same.
- While the lawyer will charge a contingency fee, it is best to have a clear contract. For typical lawsuits, you can expect the lawyer to charge 33%, which is the usual standard.
- Find out if the attorney is reliable and known. You can ask for references, but you can also consider checking online reviews.
- Finally, make sure that the injury lawyer has time for your case. If they intend to pass the case to an associate, they should ensure that you have clear access to the new lawyer.
Preferably, hire an attorney soon after the accident.